Tuesday, January 31, 2012

C-day

The technical term for this is retrieval – the day they go in to get the many eggs that Jill had been growing as a result of the drugs she was on.  I called it “C-Day” because the doctor said this was basically the day of Conception – after retrieving Jill’s eggs, they would be introduced to my sperm, some smooth jazz would be played (or at least I hope there was), and hopefully fertilization would occur.  


It was kind of weird knowing that a 3rd party (a scientist in a lab) would be ‘intimately’ involved in the process.  At this point I’m obviously aware that this is part of the process, but driving home – thinking about what was going on – it was a bit odd.  


Right now is a pretty hectic time for Jill and I – there are some other “life” things in process that have served as distractions – and I wonder if I’ll look back on this day and ask why I wasn’t more emotional/shocked/expressive.  This whole thing has been a process – a rather scientific process at that – and I’ve consistently focused my attention on that.  Maybe as a defense mechanism – because in isolation I think this could be completely overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment