Sunday, March 4, 2012

Call me “Patches”

Now that we know we’re pregnant, the “fun” hasn’t all finished for me.  Right now, I still have to do a shot of progesterone each night (more bruises). Joe has to administer those since they need to go above my rump (thus the black circles so he knows where to inject) And I’m wearing three patches of Estradiol.  Both are needed because my body isn’t naturally producing all of the necessary hormones yet. Some trickery is still needed to make sure the pregnancy is safe.

The shot I can deal with; it’s almost old hat by now.  But these patches are the pits!!  They’re itchy and sticky; they dry out my skin too.  Plus, I’m pretty sure they are causing some pretty bad cramping that, as luck would have it, all hit in the middle of the night (did I mention that I’m already exhausted at the end of each day?).  Fortunately, the patches are only needed for a few weeks, and then I will wean off them. But the wait for that seems interminable right now. I look like I’m trying to really, really quit smoking!

I guess this was just another one of the pieces that was included in the box o’ drugs that I was unprepared for, and am definitely not enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment