Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Baptism Weekend

I realized fairly early that one of the most enjoyable aspects of being a parent is sharing your kids with your family. I love seeing Jill and I's parents dote over our guys - love seeing aunts fight over who get to hold them - and I love watching them interact with other members of their generation. Its so neat to watch my brother's girls come over and show interest in them. You can almost see them thinking, "I might be able to play with them the next time I see them..."

I mention all this because we had L&H baptised over the weekend. All 3 sets of grandparents were there, as well as all 3 cousins and at least one representative of their aunts and uncles. It was pretty amazing. (I'm also happy to report that I grilled for all and nobody came down with a stomach bug) Family was so important to me growing up that I struggle with the idea that they won't have relationships with their cousins like I did. Weekends like this, though, let me know that everybody will show up when we ask. Which is good to know.

As to the event itself, I think it represents the strength of Jill and I's relationship that we can bring such varying views to the table and consistently make decisions that represents both of our interests. Faith is important to Jill (and her family) and while I don't see the world in quite the same way, I fully appreciate the structure and values that a church "family" can provide. It doesn't hurt that the music is good and that both pastors make sports-themed jokes on a regular-basis.

In short, another milestone pondered, considered, planned for and passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment