Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Houston, We Have a Problem…


AKA Joe’s pipes don’t work

In my first post I mentioned that I’d be talking about all kinds of things is this blog – including anatomical things that some might consider a bit, um, sensitive.  I think its important, though, to give an honest picture of why IVF was necessary for us.  I’m not embarrassed by any of this.  I don’t necessarily think its dinner conversation, either, but if any readers have questions about any of it, I’m certainly willing to talk about it in greater detail – although I’d prefer a fairly discreet setting…

I don’t have exact numbers, but for the majority of couples who face IVF as the only way to have a biological baby, it is the woman who has some anatomical issue that is inhibiting a traditional pregnancy.    Typical treatments include prescription drugs (that increase likelihood of pregnancy) or Artificial Insemination.  The latter involves a healthy sperm sample and works incredibly similar – biologically speaking – to how it is done in farm animals.

In our case, after we had tried to get pregnant for 6 months or so with no luck, Jill went to an OB/GYN to get the thorough diagnostics done to determine if she had any fertility issues.  Tests came back negative – no issues.  This, logically, meant that I might be the cause.  First up for me was a semen analysis.  My test came back negative as well – only in this case negative meant zero – as in no sperm.   I repeated the test with the same results – I produced semen but no sperm was found in it – ie we can’t make a baby that way.

This was tough to hear, but this is where my medical background was useful.  Some men may feel inadequate or uncomfortable after receiving this news.  I just don’t think like that.  My response was, “Ok, what do we do next?”

A blood test quickly confirmed that my testosterone levels were normal, meaning I should be producing sperm, which indicated one of two things – there was either a blockage or the vas deferens (the essential ‘pipe’) simply wasn’t present.  

This is where the science gets a bit fuzzy.  The most common reason why the vas deferens wouldn’t be present is because the person either has or is a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis.  As far as I know I don’t have a family history of it.  One (expensive) blood test later I found out that I didn’t carry the gene, however two different doctors said that the test was imperfect.  Great.  We all love expensive, imperfect test, right??

Regardless this indicated a blockage.  Over the next couple months I had two separate procedures (one excruciatingly painful and another with general anesthesia—thank god!) to attempt to clear the blockage.  Both of these were unsuccessful in opening the proper ‘pipes.’ 

At this point, there were no more procedures to try.  Upon review, two different fertility-specific urologists surmised that the CF test was incorrect and that I might still be a carrier of it.  I think its worth noting that I had a hernia operation in 2002 that had some ensuing complications.  Hernia procedures involve placing a chunk of synthetic mesh in very close proximity to where these pipes reside.  I think there’s a chance the doctor who did the procedure caused damage during the operation.  It didn’t really matter though – at that point IVF was the only realistic option left on the table.

After choosing an IVF doctor, one of the aforementioned urologists simply retrieved a sperm sample via a long needle (again – general anesthesia was used, again – thank god…).  Then when Jill went through her retrieval process a lovely Asian woman in a lab brought her egg and my sperm together and magic ensued.  Likely awkward, nervous magic, but magic nonetheless…

No comments:

Post a Comment